1906 - 1909 The founding years
On 31 May DIE DEUTSCHE KARBID GESELLSCHAFT, (The German Carbide Company) FRANKFURT AM MAIN is founded by the Metallurgische Gesellschaft (Metallurgic Company), Frankfurt am Main, in order to build a calcium cyanamide plant in Knapsack.
The founder and first Chairman of the Supervisory Board is the Managing Director of the Metallurgic Company, Dr Rudolf de Neufville. Director Joh. Maruhn, heads up the organization and the head of general business is Max Bachmann. Coal contract with Roddergrube.
Commissioning in Knapsack
The new plant is commissioned in October. 60 employees make up the initial plant crew and this is the first plant in the world to supply agricultural operations with calcium cyanamide. Production is carried out in three retort furnaces. Initially, purchased carbide is used.
In 1908 a lignite power plant and a calcium carbide plant are built.
The company name is changed to AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT FÜR STICKSTOFFDÜNGER, Knapsack bei Köln, (Corporation for Nitrogen Fertilizer, Knapsack near Cologne).