1920 - 1929 The Energy Contract
In cooperation with the Elektrokemisk A/S Oslo, Söderberg-Elektrode (Söderberg Electrode) is introduced into the large concern, which means considerable technical advancement for carbide production. Knapsack acquires the lime works GEBRÜDER WANDESLEBEN GMBH, STROMBERG/HUNSRÜCK in order to have lime at their exclusive disposal.
A nitrogen syndicate is founded, which was initiated by the Aktiengesellschaft für Stickstoffdünger (Nitrogen Fertilizer Corporation). Knapsack begins producing ferrosilicon and builds a sodium plant, which only remains operational until 1929.
A technological innovation, namely a furnace with a triangular arrangement of electrodes, is introduced into carbide production.
Merger of German chemical companies to become IG FARBENINDUSTRIE AG
The first large scale dry developer in the world used in the production of acetylenes is commissioned in Knapsack, where it was also developed.
Director Dr. Max Bachmann takes over the management of the works after the demise of Dr. Constantin Krauss.
In 1928 the first large scale carbide furnace goes into operation. An active charcoal production plant is built in the same year.
A sizable electricity supply contract is signed with RWE. The operation of existing power plants is taken over by RWE.
The ABWASSER-GESELLSCHAFT KNAPSACK GMBH is established by Hoechst, RWE and Degussa to meet the common needs of waste water treatment.