1940 - 1949 War, destruction and a new beginning
On 28 October 80% of the works is destroyed in an air strike. The administration building in Cologne also falls victim to the bombs. Production comes to a halt for a long time.
The works are handed over to the American troops. Immediately after the war ends reconstruction of the works is begun, despite having to overcome great difficulties. One carbide plant is commissioned.
The acetic acid and acetone plants begin operations anew. Two further carbide furnaces can be activated once again.
Dr. Friedbert Ritter of the British military government is appointed as Public Trustee and assigned to the directorate.
Knapsack rebuilds its granulated calcium cyanamide plant. The number of staff members reaches over 2000, as many as before the war.