1950 - 1959 Phosphorus chemistry arrives in Knapsack
The production of molochloraecetic acid begins and the manufacturing of ferrosilicon is restarted.
Production runs again in all areas.
In the course of reorganizational measures of the former IG FARBENINDUSTRIE AG (Aktiengesellschaft/AG=corporation), the following companies merge to become
- AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT FÜR STICKSTOFFDÜNGER Knapsack;
- GRIESHEIM-AUTOGEN Frankfurt/Main;
- NORDWESTDEUTSCHE SAUERSTOFFWERKE Düsseldorf;
- TEGA WERK, FABRIK TECHNISCHER GASE Kassel-Bettenhausen;
- SÜDWESTDEUTSCHE SAUERSTOFFWERKE Stuttgart-Untertürkheim.
Dr. Friedbert Ritter is named chairman of the board of Knapsack-Griesheim AG (corporation) and is concurrently a member of the board of the Farbwerke Hoechst AG.
The company is released from allied forces control and changes its name to KNAPSACK-GRIESHEIM AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT (corporation), Knapsack. In the course of the divergence, the corporation’s stocks are transferred back from IG FARBEN INDUSTRIE i.L. (in liquidation) to the FARBWERKE HOECHST AG VORM. MEISTER LUCIUS & BRÜNING, Frankfurt/Main.
The acquisition of the majority interest in the FRIEDRICH UHDE GMBH (Ltd), Dortmund and the procurement of the equity holding in the companies DECKER & CIE. GMBH, Köln and PAUL EISENHARDT; SENFFABRIK UND ESSIGESSENZ-VERKAUFS-GESELLSCHAFT MBH (Ltd.), Düsseldorf follows.
Conversion of the acetone plant from acetic acid to isopropanol takes place. In September the first phosphate rock silo cells are erected in the harbour at Godorf.
The chairman of the new company’s supervisory board is Karl Winnacker, chairman of the board of the Farbwerke Hoechst AG (corporation).
Staff members: over 3000 employees
Phosphorus production’s beginnings: elemental phosphorus, thermal phosphoric acid, red phosphorus, and the manufacture of acetylene carbon black (combustible carbon black).
Vinyl chloride production based on acetylene begins and ferrosilicon powder, produced according to the company’s own processes, is available for supply.
Commissioning of the company’s own fully enclosed carbide furnace (carbide furnace 10) with an output of 40 MW takes place. The new technology allows for a considerable improvement in plant productivity and environmental protection.
In the phosphorus sector, the phosphate sintering plant 1 also goes into production.
Production of pentasodium triphosphate and tetra sodium pyrophosphate begins using the company’s own processes in April (spray tower 1) and a second phosphorus furnace with an output of 50 MW is commissioned in October.
Pentasodium triphosphate as well as sodium tripolyphosphate, so called NTPP serves as a basis for modern detergent formulas. It provides for the successful development of the phosphorus chemical sector for over three decades. Dedication of the so-called “Knapsacker Feierabendhaus” (conference and entertainment facility)
Further new products from Knapsack include chloroprene and acrylonitrile.
The number of employees increases further to over 4,000.
On 16 January Dr. Hugo Querengässer becomes the permanent deputy of Dr. Janning acting as works manager of the Knapsack works and he is then appointed as works manager on 30 June 1961. Querengässer becomes a member of the board on 17 September 1962.
The commissioning of a second fully enclosed carbide furnace (carbide furnace 20) allows for the closing down of five smaller furnaces.
The reorganization of the Knapsack-Griesheim Aktiengesellschaft (corporation) takes place, whereby the company name is retained, and it is turned into a plant/operational management company of Farbwerke Hoechst Aktiengesellschaft (corporation).